de 9h à 18h
One hundred and ten years after his birth, Pierre Uri (1911-1992) — graduate of the École Normale, agrégé in Philosophy and Economics, professor at the École Normale Supérieure...
One hundred and ten years after his birth, Pierre Uri (1911-1992) — graduate of the École Normale, agrégé in Philosophy and Economics, professor at the École Normale Supérieure and Paris Dauphine, close collaborator of Jean Monnet for the Plan, during negotiations for the Schuman Plan and then the ECSC, and author of the Spaak report which lead to the creation of the single market — remains little studied.
This international symposium organized by the Groupe d’études géopolitiques — the first dedicated to this European founder’s legacy — aims to address the multiple facets of his achievements.
Scientific Committee - Georges Berthoin, Thierry Chopin, Pascal Lamy, Rémy Lecat, Guia Migani, Dieter Schlenker, Anthony Teasdale, Christian Wenkel, Wolfgang Wessels
Scientific Director - Alessandro Giacone
Organizing Committee - Ramona Bloj, Gilles Gressani, Mathéo Malik
Partners - Historical Archives of the EU-Florence, European Parliament Research Service (EPRS), Maison Jean Monnet, École normale supérieure
Editorial partners - Revue Esprit, le Grand Continent
We would like to thank Noëlle Uri for her help in preparing this conference.
Saturday, 20 November 2021
École normale supérieure Salle des Actes
Registration: [email protected]
9:30 am Welcome
10:00 am Introduction
- Opening remarks: Marc MÉZARD (Director of the École normale supérieure), Ramona BLOJ (Groupe d'études géopolitiques), Mathéo MALIK (Editor-in-Chief of Le Grand Continent), Anthony TEASDALE (Director General of the EPRS), Martí GRAU i SEGÚ (Head of Department and Curator of the Maison Jean Monnet)
- Introduction by Éric ROUSSEL (Academy of Moral and Political Sciences)
Moderator: Gilles Gressani (President, Groupe d’études géopolitiques)
10:30 - 11:30 Session 1: Sources and archives
Session Chair: Guia Migani (University of Tours)
- Florence DESCAMPS (EPHE) : Pierre Uri's contribution to the oral archives of the Committee for the Economic and Financial History of France
- Catherine PREVITI (Historical Archives of the EU) : The Pierre Uri collection within the Historical Archives of the European Union
11:30 - 12:30 Session 2: An economist dedicated to serving France
Session Chair: Olivier Feiertag (Panthéon-Sorbonne University)
- Michel MARGAIRAZ (Panthéon-Sorbonne University) : Pierre Uri and the Plan
- Fréderic TRISTRAM (Panthéon-Sorbonne University) : Pierre Uri, inventor of the VAT ?
14h00 - 15h30 Session 3: From the Schuman Declaration to the Treaty of Rome
Session Chair: Alessandro Giacone (Università di Bologna)
- Jean-Marie PALAYRET (Historical Archives of the EU): "A Leap into the Unknown?” Pierre Uri, the Schuman Declaration, and the negotiation of the Treaty of Paris
- Céline ACOMBE-CORDIER (Panthéon-Sorbonne University): Pierre Uri and the High Authority of the ECSC
- Laurent WARLOUZET (Paris-Sorbonne University): Pierre Uri's role in the creation and subsequent implementation of the Treaty of Rome
16h - 17h30 Session 4 : A Man of Action
Session Chair: Anthony Teasdale (EPRS)
- Laure QUENNOUËLLE-CORRE (CNRS) : Pierre Uri and the Dialogue between Continents
- Christian SAUTTER (former Minister of Economy, Finance and Industry): The Hands-On Economist
- Pascal LAMY (former Director General of the World Trade Organization): From Economic Integration to Political Integration
Closing Remarks: Alessandro GIACONE (Università di Bologna)
All exchanges will be filmed in their entirety and broadcast live here.
Sunday, 21 November 2021
Houjarray, Maison Jean Monnet
10h30 Arrival at the Maison Jean Monnet
11h00 - 12h30 Session 5: Pierre Uri in the Monnet networks: the founding fathers' legacy today (actors and testimonies)
Session Chair: Philippe Perchoc (EPRS)
- *Jacques DELORS (former President of the European Commission): A testimony (tbc)
- *Georges BERTHOIN (former High-Representative of the Commission of the European Economic Community to the United Kingdom) : Travelling with Pierre Uri
- Pascal FONTAINE (Honorary Director at the European Parliament) : Jean Monnet's circles
- Cornelia CONSTANTIN (EHESS) : Constructing a Role of Legitimacy : Pierre Uri, Founder of the European Communities
- Paul JAEGER (former president of the AJM): Pierre Uri and the Association of Friends of Jean Monnet
- Jean-Marc LIEBERHERR (president of the IJM): The Community method in practice
*Jacques Delors and Georges Berthoin will not be present, a preview of their unpublished contributions will be read by an actress.
12:30 Visit of the Jean Monnet house
by Philippe LE GUEN (deputy coordinator of the Maison Jean Monnet)
14h00 - 15h00 Session 6: Conclusions
Session Chair: Dieter SCHLENKER (Historical Archives of the EU) and Martí GRAU i SEGÚ (European Parliament)
- Members of the scientific council and speakers at the symposium
All exchanges will be filmed in their entirety and broadcasted live here